Position is responsible for assisting the head coach with organizing the program at the assigned school. Position assists with conducting practices, motivating students, and instructing student athletes in game strategies and techniques.
1. Assists the head coach with instructing students in the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of the sport.
2. Organizes and directs individual and small group practice activities/exercises as directed by the head coach.
3. Assesses student's skills, monitors students during competition and practice, and keeps the head coach informed of the athletic performance of students.
4. Assists with determining game strategy.
5. Assists the head coach with supervising athletes during practices and competition.
6. Follows established procedures in the event of an injury.
7. Models sports-like behavior and maintains appropriate conduct towards students, officials, and spectators.
8. Maintains the equipment room in orderly condition and assumes responsibility for its security.
9. Distributes equipment, supplies, and uniforms to students as directed by the head coach.
10. Assists the head coach with submitting a list of award winners at the end of the season.
11. Participates in special activities to include parent's night, banquets, award nights, and pep assemblies.
12. Performs support tasks such as distributing and maintaining eligibility forms, emergency data cards, and other related records.
13. Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
1. Attends staff development meetings, clinics and other professional activities to improve coaching performance.
2. Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Head Coach, Athletic Director & Principal or other appropriate administrator.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified, to perform the essential functions.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
Experience as an assistant coach or athlete at the high school or college level preferred. Must possess effective coaching techniques and skills. Must possess some knowledge of the rules, regulations, strategies, and techniques of the sport. Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school administrators, parents, and students.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
Must have the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels, outdoors and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly;
physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds to shoulder height and 50 pounds to waist height; and to bend, to stoop, to sit on the floor, to climb stairs, to walk and to reach overhead.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Duties are normally performed in a school environment or outdoors. Duties may be occasionally performed on field trips away from school. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Supervision Exercised: None
Supervision Received: Head Coach, Athletic Director & Principal
Manassas Park City Schools assures Equal Employment Opportunities and equal education opportunities for employees and students as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. The Assistant Coach will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the Principal & Athletic Director or appropriate administrator. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position. Manassas Park City Schools reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description and related duties at any time.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER